Sunday, May 27, 2007

My farewell speech...

When they were trying to find someone to give this speech they first asked the most intelligent, smart person they could find. But she turned them down. So then they asked the most beautiful, lovely, attractive person they could find. She also turned them down. Next they asked the nicest, sweetest, kindest, most sincere person they could find. Then I decided it would be rude to turn them down three times in a row, so here I am.
How many people here like tomato soup? Come on; raise your hand if you like tomato soup. OK, thank you. That was a really simple question, you either like it or you don't. I wish our college had been that easy. However, as we all know, it wasn't.
As someone who has voluntarily stepped up to this job of giving a “perfect” farewell speech, you expect me to speak something intelligent and scholarly. But I’m not.
This is the third time in the year that I’m standing on this platform and delivering a speech. And before I commence I want you all to do me a favor and take a look at your fellow classmates and professors. Maybe this is the last time you are going to see most of them. This might be a happy and comforting thought to many of you.
Since giving my 10th Std Board Exams and passing them, I’ve wondered when it’s all going to be over, finally! I thought it would be over at least after 12th. But how highly mistaken was I! Today when I think that it would be finally over once and for all, I know I’m wrong yet again. Because that’s what I’ve learnt in the past five years of my life- that its never really over. It’s not the destination but the journey that really matters. Bitter, but true.
Tomorrow we are all going to go in different directions. What direction each takes doesn’t matter. Whether you do banking, designing, VJing or something as bizarre as commercial fossil fuel distribution, it doesn’t matter what you are doing- but what or more rightly who you are. And its extremely important to immensely thank those who have made us what we are today as a person. Today I’m really privileged to stand in front of three individuals who have given us our identity. And I cannot thank you enough for all that you have done for us. I know we haven’t even reciprocated even a fraction of that towards you. But we all do promise to, in near future or at least try our best in doing so.
When I first came to this college five years ago, trust me I did not have a very good first impression. And this would be my honest confession when I say that I often joined other students in criticizing our college canteen, library, its office staff, etc. Then time just flew by, gradually taking away with it, my stupid thoughts and opinions. I never know when I started cheering for this college, chanting its name on top of my voice, defending it against all other colleges and feeling deeply sad when it lacked behind. Today I can undoubtedly say that I’m a proud “Sathayeiite”. Because this is what I’ve learnt- Just a thousand bricks do not make up a college. A building with just four walls does not make up a canteen and just couple of chairs does not make up a library. The real strength of our college lies in the honesty, integrity and wholeness of our professors. A building with just walls, benches and blackboards would be like trashcan where people come and throw their dirt, their fears, insecurities, worries and doubts. It is the teachers that make the very trashcan a temple- a place of worship, dignity and respect. It is them that make an ordinary child- a student.
So, today for me, this is not only an opportunity to speak in front of people for whom I’ve tremendous respect for (and I’m talking only of the teachers) but an occasion to be grateful towards them from the bottom of my heart. Right now, words fail me while converting my feelings into words and expressing my thoughts through this speech in acknowledging you three. But I would be echoing the voice of everyone present here when I think that a simple “Thank You’ is most appropriate. So, Thanks a million- not just for teaching us academics but making a difference in our lives. You will always remain Sanjeevani and Asuthi maam for us for the rest of our lives. (Partially because we never quite knew Sanjeevani maam’s last name and Asuthi maam’s first name)
And now, a piece of advice for my fellow classmates- (I know I’m the last person to distribute advices) but this is more of a thought than a advice- So, I’ll not direct it towards “You” and instead say “We”…We should always aim high in whatever we do in our lives- Our greatest fear is not that our aim is too high and that we can’t attain it, but that our aim was so low that we actually reached it. Because humanity is divided into three parts-.1) those who make things happen. . 2. Those who watch things happen. . 3. and those who don't know what's happening." Like most of you right now, who are clueless about what I’m blabbering. So whatever you do, always keep your head high- even if it doesn’t concern anything to academics- don’t just sit home idly or worse go to jail. Be honest with yourself. It would be a bit clichéd or even over exaggerated when I say that amongst us I see the first female President or the first Indian to win an Oscar.
And finally, maams we all are going to miss you tremendously. I hope you’ll miss us too. Usually professors miss students or remember students based on how intelligent and smart they were, or how they excelled in extra curricular activities and made the college proud…But in my case, I hope you’ll remember me whenever you’ll see an empty blackboard without a thought. Thank You all and Thank You again…

1 comment:

Shreyas said...

feels nice to read it.. but college madhe asto tar jhoplo asto,... i slept thru evrything in college... wudnt a mention of just 3 mam's be an injustice to others though????